How to Find the Best Plano, Texas, Moving Company
As you prepare to move into a new home, you’ve likely developed a list that includes many must-do items like securing new utility providers, gathering moving boxes, and determining your moving timeline. Have you also given thought to the item that should be at the top of your list: how to find the best Plano, Texas moving company? As a part of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, new and current Plano residents have access to a wide variety of service professionals in the moving industry. That doesn’t mean that all movers are created equally, however. So as you are preparing for your upcoming move, use this guide to know what to look for in a Plano, TX moving company.
The number one factor you’ll want to consider when choosing which movers to hire is their reliability. But how to gauge this reliability can be difficult to figure out. After all, every mover you talk to will tell you that they are the most reliable in their field. So to determine how reliable a mover might be, you need to combine your observation skills with some research. Follow these steps:
- When you make an appointment to discuss the scope of your upcoming move with a moving company, pay attention to what time they arrive in relation to your appointment time and how long they spend evaluating the totality of the items they’ll need to move. Are they running very late without a good reason or rushing to leave just as soon as they’ve arrived? They may be in the habit of overbooking or double booking, and that will cut down on their reliability with your specific move.
- Ask your potential mover for at least three references, but don’t be shy about asking for more if you have the time to follow up with additional people. Speak with those references and ask questions about all aspects of their move, until you feel comfortable with what you are hearing about the moving company’s professionalism and reliability.
- Perform an internet search about the services you’re considering when working out how to find the best Plano, Texas moving company. Specifically read the accolades and complaints various companies have received. Be realistic about the postings you read; some may be outliers where situations have gone wrong through circumstances outside of the moving company’s control, or may have been posted by people with an agenda or an outlandish gripe. Pay careful attention to oversight organizations like the North Central Texas Better Business Bureau.
When you’re researching how to find the best Plano, Texas moving company, look carefully into their availability and how that meshes with your needs. Some companies, particularly small organizations that have limited trucks and staffing, may only operate certain days of the week or hours of the day. That may not give you the flexibility you need to complete your move. Other companies may book many weeks or months in advance, especially for more complicated or long distance moves.
Before you speak with potential moving companies, write up your exact needs and expectations for the timing of your move. Do you need to be out of your current home by a very specific date, or do you have a window of time you can move within? Will you need the moving company to hold over your belongings for a period of time between when you need to be out of your old home and when your new home is available? What days and times are you or another adult in your household available to be onsite with the movers, supervising their work and responding to questions and needs as they arise?
Remember, also, to be realistic with your move timing expectations. For moves that come about and must be completed quickly, you may simply not have as many options as moves that can be planned out and scheduled a long time in advance. And movers do have other customers besides. So while they should absolutely schedule and devote adequate time to your move, certain scheduling issues or glitches may be out of their control. Any flexibility you can provide will only make your move a smoother process.
According to Census research, around 12 percent of the population moves annually. That’s a lot of people and that means that moving is a big business by volume. That volume can play a role in the affordability of your move – how busy a certain company is can raise or lower their rates based on the principles of supply and demand. But when determining how to find the best Plano, Texas moving company, you can also evaluate affordability based on these additional factors:
- Time of year of your move
- Distance of your move
- Size of your residence
- Ease of accessing your current and new residence
Obtaining multiple quotes before choosing your mover can help to ensure that you find the most affordable option. Do remember this, however: the least expensive is not always the best. Affordability has to be balanced against reliability and availability.
After all of your preparation and research into how to find the best Plano, Texas moving company, you’ll be ready to move on to your next two important steps: putting expert moving tips to good use so you and your home are both well-prepared, and choosing which mover to hire. By beginning your process as soon as possible and employing diligent research, your next move can be your best move.